Do you have any big travel plans for the summer time? I know we will be going to the beach at least once, and going back and forth from our water park almost every day. Travelling every day can take its toll especially on your car. To keep our vehicles safe, I always try to keep a good distance between our car and large semi trucks, but sometimes their wheels send rocks my way and I get a chip in the wind shield or a ding. When we bought our car it was used and I noticed a small chip in the windshield. My husband took it very seriously and actually took it right over to our local Saflite AutoGlass center. They were amazingly fast and very inexpensive. There are so many things we can do to keep our families safe while we're on the road. Here are my 10 tips to keep your family safe on the road (with some tips from Safelite Autoglass!):
1. Think you can ignore a chip in your windshield? Think again! The windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.
2. Safelite AutoGlass brings you peace of mind by emailing you a Technician Profile before your appointment, showing you a photograph and credentials of the technician coming to your home or place of business.
3. Take it seriously when you have a crack in your windshield. It's a lot cheaper to fix a small crack than a huge one!
4. Maintain a safety buffer zone of safety around your car. Be aware of your surroundings, road conditions and all the things around you. Distance will save you from a lot of the rocks that fly up from those semi trucks!
5. Properly maintain your vehicle with regular oil changes, transmission flushes, etc.
6. The repair often takes just 30 minutes, and the result is barely visible and the windshield is strong again.
7. Always make sure your tires are properly inflated
8. Double check that your luggage carrier is securely fastened to the top of your car.
9. Give your kids plenty of things to entertain themselves to cut down on fighting and distraction.
10. Keep your attention exclusively focused on driving. Avoid texting, talking on cell phones, eating, and doing anything that may take your focus from the road!
Always remember that when you drive you have the lives of everyone in the car in your hands. It's so important to keep our family's safety as the utmost goal in our driving and have a safe summer!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.